19 January 2012

Cards for the Elderly such as My Sweet Aunt!


*...its my AUNT's CARD and she turned 98 on NEW YEARS! 
Yeah Aunty! 
I have to remember that she's a New Year's baby - I wonder if  they made 
a fuss about that those days, it was 1914 and in a very small settlement - so it could of
went either way: no, too practical to be celebrating a New Year baby or yes, they 
would of celebrated the fact a baby came along on a specially-marked occasion! 
But no matter, she was a new baby and that was special for sure!!! 
She is also the last of her generation in the family. Another significant fact. And there is not
much accounting for genes apparently, as her siblings lived to all different ages from mid-60's right 
on up!  Although if you consider lifestyle, that again is confusing as one of the strictest of a cautionary life
amongst them passed on to heaven first. There is hope for me after all, lol! 



A Personal Consideration - Cards for the Very Elderly

This raises a serious question for me now. How best to communicate with a long-distant and 
very elderly relative whose been placed in a nursing home???
  Its one of those 'ahh' moments that requires some reflection.
 I want my Aunt to keep receiving our well-intended expressions of  affection
 so she has a reminder that we love her. But what if she no longer recognizes the reason behind the cards? 
Or will the cards continue to remind her of who we are?  

 I know she knows who I am when we chat, but of course she has those temporary moments when her thought process goes through a loop. In fact, I can tell when its time to stop talking when she starts to repeat the conversation. 
It almost makes me cry, I think at those times how sweet she is. 
But its hard to swallow because its proof you can't deny that your loved one is experiencing a serious loss. Not a devastating one, but its serious none the less. 

As she is now in a nursing home, yes, I do know one thing, she had to go at the age of 97, if you can believe it - she lasted on her own so long, I am so proud of her!  I know I worried about her though, and relatives near to her recognized the time came and we can only hope she is comfortable. She lives in another province - too far away from us, so I can only gauge her feelings on the matter from our telephone conversations. But she seems really fine, talks well and except for the mild memory loss, she appears to be one heck of a strong Prairie Lady!!!! 

SO  concerning the point I am making - do I continue to send her cards?  I've decided to send her card 'care of '  the Administrator and asking that someone present and read it to her and from there I will find out if she is cognizant for understanding the card and then I can determine how to keep on sending her cards - or not!  It may be best to adjust to ' only telephone calls '. 
Also, I know as busy as staff are and personal space is always limited from what my last Aunt told me , so I don't want them to worry about cluttering up her room....but I do so hope she can enjoy a few cards yet!  Fingers crossed! 

The Card Featured Here uses Supplies from Stampin' Up!:
DS Paper, "Everyday Enchantment " {green scalloped border} - NEW {Sale-a-bration}
Scalloped Edge created with EDGELIT DIES - " Adoring Accents " - NEW {Occasions Mini}
Stamps - florals created with stamps from sets ' Fabulous Florets and Fifth Ave ' and leaf / heart from ' Best Friends Forever '  {main catalogue}
chalks, pearls, cardstock ={Peach Parfait/Whisper White}, paper piercer. *


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by: