16 January 2010

Cute and Crafty in Fabric - Spotlighting Talent in cyberspace and Tutorial to Alter Jam Jar




 I love it when I find the darling-est things and you have to admit even if you are a non-crafty person or even, dare I say it - a minimalist in the purest sense - that these are "cutesy" period.

So check out the talent I found today while surfing....you can learn how to make these 'bottlecap pincushions' at the blog of How About Orange... and also at Craft Pudding

And then, Hawaii is one of the best places I dream of moving to (seriously I do!)....and so one of their delightful talented crafters is here at Willy Nilly Waterlily and I just love, love her
" Bashful Blooming Cactus "  - wish I could post a pix of them but you can see on her blog - the trio of them on her banner.

MY TUTORIAL TO DECORATE A JAM JAR {decorate the lid!}

In my modest manner, I have used some fabric and a Big Shot Sizzlit Die of a flower to decorate the lid of a tiny jam jar - perfect for sorting and storing my buttons.



Begin with bare jar and Here is how I altered it:

a) cut a circle of fabric slightly larger than the lid and a circle of paper  the exact diameter of the top of the lid.

 b)cut a length of ribbon to wrap around the side of the lid - baste a row of thread to pull on and draw the ribbon edges snug around the lid...use some adhesive in spots before tying a knot in your threads to secure in place.


c) next wrap the fabric circle over the paper circle, baste the edges of the fabric circle like the step above for the ribbon, and snug the two together, secure and glue to the top of the lid - hiding the edges of the ribbon.

 


d) to decorate the top- I used my Big Shot and a small die from my Birds & Blooms Sizzlits 4-Pack- I chose the larger single flower in  co-ordinating orange paper (use pumpkin pie, or only orange or dusty durango)
e) finally, I secured the paper flower with a smaller fabric flower and a flower brad. [see top photo]....and displayed it on my shelf!  I plan to do this to more of these tiny jars - neat way to recycle.




Well...off to surf some more! Cheers!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by: