25 June 2010

Make an Exotic Tray as a pretty catch-all!


Good afternoon!  It's Friday - and I bet the end of school for a whole lotta students who are thrilled to be free!!! So enjoy your summer with your children, grandchildren - every day is precious!

I am back today with a project I worked on for almost 2 days - but that's because I was designing it as I went along - so you could do it in about an hour if you had instructions, etc.  I will be offering instructions for this once I make a PDF file - so look for it!

OK. I love this!





I started by making a folding card - well, more importantly, I started because I wanted to use some of the fantastic new things that have been accumulating around the studio! I have also been wanting to do some of the 'vintage' style that is exploding all around the world!

So - a folding card which ended up looking pretty much how you see the middle section and the two wings.

And while I was staring at it, the wings wide open - it struck me that I should turn it into a TRAY!

Then, a tray that could be useful around our cluttered home - I always can use catch-alls to threw my rings onto, spare change or to keep some perfumes - anything really!

I created a template for a tray - which basically is following the shape of the center & sides, deciding how far the front of the tray should extend, and creating "FLAPS" to secure the tray to the vertical sides. The front of the tray has a lip - a flap that folds up and over itself.  And that was it.

Then I had another inspiration - I wanted a smaller container to catch little things - pennies, rings, who knows! So I grabbed some velvet ribbon and made a flower and a leaf and attached them to a golden coloured votive candle holder. Some gems and a pearl - its so cute, I think I'll make more of them!


OK - here the pictures!


The small velvet flower on votive candleholder! 







.....used as a spot to drop my rings in! 



Die-cuts, stamping (the shadow stamping on the brown) ...




Securing the sides with paper twist turned 'decorative'...and a close-up 
of the tray's front 'lip' - which is also stamped, inked.....




The interior of the tray is stamped in a monochromatic matching shade....




and to protect the tray's bottom from damage, I cut a vellum cover - which I stamped on its 'reverse' side
using white CRAFT ink - because of the smoothness of the vellum's surface (warning - let it dry first!)...




...vellum cover in place, and because I stamped on its underside, those white floral images
will not be harmed either!  Gotta think of these things, right?




Close-up of the flower I made using 3 layers of flowers in descending size and a white brad
to tie in with the background colour of that delicious exotic paper!
I made a border pulling out some of the 'orange' of the paper, and to make the top as interesting as the 
rest of the piece, I used some SCALLOP punches and tucked them in behind the scallop border.....




So here it is again!  It's strong It's pretty 
and it's my new favourite! 

Hope you enjoyed it! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by: