17 June 2009

DAD's Card












Hello!
I started to fool around with my new JUMBLE ALPHABET - and also wanted to do a Father's Day Card. This card literally "fell together" because I just experimented as I went along.
I know that paper quilting is a favourite trick for card-making so I thought I'd give it a go using up scraps of Delicate Dots paper from who else, but Stampin' Up!, lol! AND....I used an extra TOP NOTE die-cut I had lying about and snipping away I soon had it covered with the scrap papers. I layered it on to another paper, Kiwi Kiss (soon to retire) - and - then just cropped around the die-cut shape to get the extra border. I didn't even glue just used a brad.
I cut out my alphabet letters using my Circle Scissors Plus - which worked beautifully - (just remember to secure the paper down with some Dotto Dots so it won't slip on you :)). Made some larger circles in Sahara Sand which I covered in ink using a cloth. Then created that important word...DAD! Just to make sure he knows he is extra special, I turned a coffee mug with a heart stamp into a beer stein (draw & cut out the beer foam) and penned #1 on the heart. Cute! On to the next step!
Here's where I must admit I went out of my norm! I thought it would be boring to just slap it on the front of a card since I do that so often....no, I wanted to try to come up with something different. Picking up a couple of strips of Bashful Blue paper, I was holding them with both hands and they sort of created a V shape - and then I thought of a ladder! Thinking that was 'fatherly-like' - cuz, we don't want all frills, right! But then - whoop - a giant "A" - you know, Dad is an 'ace' or gets a "A" for being the 'best dad'! So I happily went in that direction!
The Top Note shape has a point and would be troublesome to stand on its own, and soon I realized I would make the 'A' into an 'easel' - it could be both. Plus it could stand on its own like a card. So I created a shelf on the A, and a supporting leg behind it. {I made everything double-thickness plus glued a thin wood stir stick for added support} You could add a string running between the front to the back leg for limit its ability to 'open' if you run into problems.
Anyways - I put my DAD assemblage on the 'A-turned-Easel ' and used a clip to secure it in place AND FINALLY I got to use my tin star! I have had this baby for a couple of years and didn't know when I'd use it.

Hope you like it! B :)















0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by: