25 August 2009

Colouring with Stampin' Up! Markers




Ok - here I am! Another day - another post!


I was up late (as usual) in my craft studio and watching Youtube while I put together some new arrivals when I found a whole slew of colouring techniques regarding SU markers.


Things to know:

Like a good marker, it has deep colour which you can apply directly to paper for colouring stamped images -the effect is altered somewhat by your choice of paper.

Use STAZON INK to stamp your image if you need to insure no bleeding of the stamped image if it gets wet from the moisture of the markers.

You can achieve many different techniques using our markers - and here I will show you one. AND I will compare this technique to direct-to-paper marker colouring.

What I am using:
AQUA PAINTER BRUSH
4 Stampin' Write Markers - Regal Rose/Certainly Celery/Green Galore/So Saffron
STAZON BLACK INK
Whisper White and no-name non-glossy white paper

1.Direct-to-Paper Colouring (Fairy on the right)
On the glossy Whisper White paper - I stamped my first image and coloured it directly - marker to paper to get the full effect of the colours. I used yellow first, painted the edges of her wings with one green, and blended over top with the brighter second green (green galore) - and finally painted her skin with the pink, Regal Rose.

You can see she is very colourful - which is perfectly fine - it all depends on your final decisions for your project.

2. Using the Aqua Painter Brush (Fairy on the left with the dots above her wings)
a) prepare the tip of the wet aqua brush by sqeezing some water from its handle into the brush and just skim the brush onto your paper or cloth just so its wet (not dripping wet please!)
b) then touching the aqua brush to the tip of the marker brush, I applied the colour to her skin first - which came on very pale. I repeated this until I had the shading of her skin the way I wanted AND I repeated it over the circular areas to give her blushing cheeks.
c) next, I applied the yellow to the wings area, her dress, shoes and leaf headdress. Where I wanted it deeper in colour, I would just apply more.
d) I immediately applied the darker shade of green - Certainly Celery to the outside of the wings AND followed by the second green, Green Galore to blend the two.

So you can see yourself - the difference. I did the second fairy, with the aqua painter on the non-glossy paper but you can still tell that she is more subtly coloured with better blending than the more deeper shades of the direct-to-paper fairy.

Note - in real life, they appear brighter - sorry but my camera and reducing the size of the pics always grays them out somewhat.

I posted a pic showing the aqua-painted fairy on her own.

I also show how the marker works in pink - on the far right, is the marker itself - coloured over & over itself. Then over to the left is the marker with the aqua painter again - going from lighter to darker (by applying colour over itself) to get a range of shades.

Well - hope that helps you with your colouring projects!

If you want to learn more about this and other techniques - check out my Stampin' Up! website or the blog here or contact me for classes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by: